It is no longer sufficient to simply deliver the IT operational services and infrastructure that maintain a company. The days when the main function of the CIO was to run datacenters and their own email servers are gone. Where IT was once seen as a cost that needed to be minimised, it is now seen as a primary enabler to projecting the company’s competitive advantage in an increasingly volatile, disruptive market.
The modern Global CIO now needs to:
- be a business leader and visionary
- be a value driver
- be comfortable with taking risks and owning visionary initiatives
- be a teacher and coach to the next generation of leaders
- deliver a proven track record of transformations that support (and increasingly so, influence) the corporate strategy
- fully value and understand how to leverage ecosystem partners for these types of dial-up services, thus freeing up scarce resources for more value-adding endeavours.
How this mix of attributes will be applied will determine the type of legacy you leave.
As an independent, experienced council, Asif Menghrani can help provide valuable orientation by tailoring the development of the above qualities to your needs, or simply providing a sounding board based on his experience. An international network of professionals can also be leveraged where subject matter expertise is required to validate aspects of an initiative, or provide independent references to support it.
The end result is a blueprint for your legacy that not only delivers against your obligations, but also defines how your extended network will reference and work with you in future.